If you are an owner or a tenant leasing a premises, contact:
Leasing is a popular commercial option as it enables business to commence trading without big capital cost. At John A. Sinnott & Co. Solicitors, we act for both property owners and tenants with:
- drawing up leases
- amending leases
- dealing with disputes over leases
There are many legal aspects to leasing a premises and we will advise you on the following:
- Has the tenant the right of renewal of the lease if in occupation for at least 5 years?
- Does the tenant have the right to sell or assign the lease or the right to sub-lease?
- Can the tenant use the property for a different purpose if a need arises to change trade or business?
- What is the real cost of the premises when service charges and rates are considered?
- Is the rent linked to turnover?
A long-term lease will govern the relationship between owner and tenant for 21 years or more. It is vital that great care is taken and that both parties fully understand the provisions of the lease.
Since 2008, any tenant with separate, independent legal advice can take a lease for 5 years or more and at the same time waive his right to a new lease. Prior to this legislation only office tenants could do this.