Maintenance and Access

For guidance on maintenance or access of children, contact:

John A Sinnott & Co Solicitors - Anthony Rath

Anthony Rath



Maintenance refers to the responsibility of separating couples to support each other and their children financially. The level of maintenance paid by each party is normally dealt with in the District Court or Circuit Court. The court will consider the needs of the children and the earnings of each parent in making its decision.


Usually, married parents have joint custody of children but with one parent’s home being the habitual residence for the children and with the other parent being granted access. In unmarried situations, it is usual for the mother to have custody but the father can be granted guardianship and access.

Generally speaking, the courts will encourage parents to support a child’s access to each other and will always consider the best interests of the child.